VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2005

From:
Henry Wiencek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Henry Wiencek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:52:48 -0400
I need to purchase a digital scanner to make high-quality digital images of
historical photos for publication.  Can anyone recommend one?

There is a further wrinkle.  I recently bought a Dell Inspiron laptop and I
stupidly told the clerk I did not need a CD burner, since I didn't know what
a CD burner was (I thought it was something for mass-producing pirated
movies).  So now I discover that I can't copy files to a CD from the laptop.
 Is there an external CD drive I can buy that will accommodate the large
files of digital images?  I'll need to send a CD to the publisher with the
images.  Naturally, all this has to be done on a crash basis because my
wife's publisher just called and said they need her book's cover photos
within a week or so.

Sorry to burden the list with a tech question, but it is historically
related.  Folks can reply off-list.

Many, many thanks,

Henry Wiencek
Charlottesville