VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2003

Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 19:37:12 EST
I thought I have enough experience with tithable lists that I knew what they
were all about, I know take that mistaken belief back and need some
knowledgeable person to fill me in on the following usual or strange listing.
      The list of tithables comes from Pittsylvania County, Virginia for the
year 1770 and I viewed the transcription in several issues of The Southwest
Virginian -- the two earliest segment:
       The first just lists the name and number of tithables
       The second lists the name, number of tithables and amount of land.

The  third segment from Vol. 5  Oct. 1987  No. 4  pp. 167-170  and its
heading"
       "A List of Tithables, Land and Squarrils Taken by Thomas Dillard for
the year
       1770 June 10th"
 Name                  Tithes         Squarl Sc.      Land
John Ballenger         1                  5                100
Thomas Dillard Jr. *  5                 25              969 1/2
       [* Negroes 4 listed by name]

[Afterwards at the bottom of this list]
     "B in this List 125 tithes
       also  - - - 263 scalps
       Due the County for want of Scalps 362 lbs. of Tob."

Two subsequent segments of this 1770 continued the squirrels scalps and land
with
 the list of tithables.

My questions:
       1).  Have any of you seen similar listings with squirrels and land
also included
             with tithable listings?
       2).  While bounties for predators were common at the time, why the
desire for
             squirrels scalps?    Was there a problem in Pittsylvania County
with his
             small animal?
Larry