VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2008

From:
Tom Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:03:47 -0700
Thanks to all who so quickly responded to my query about the word
"fauksokutters."
To answer some suggestions:  Good thought re phonetic spelling of
Southern accents.  Hmmm?
Foxhole cutters? Have to admit that's better than anything I came up
with.   Ray, thanks for sending out a request for help; hopefully one
of your friends will have the answer I'm looking for.

As to sending a copy of the original, I wasn't able to photograph  or
make a copy of it at UNC (Yes, U of N.Carolina).  The copy I have is
handwritten word for word, line for line.  I spent several hours
making sure it was a accurate copy.  The letter writer's handwriting
was not difficult to read, which makes it more aggravating than if he
had scribbled.   No, the family was not Cajun, but that doesn't
necessarily mean they weren't "odd".
  --Tom