VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2015

From:
Ida Skarson McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2015 11:57:45 -0700
Check the laws regarding nonprofits and property taxes.

I live in another state. Our local genealogical society library had to
stop charging a $5 admission fee for nonmembers to come in and do
research. We found we were liable for thousands of dollars of property
taxes on the building in which we rent space, as a result of charging an
admission fee. We are now a free admission library and raise funds other
ways, primarily large seminars twice a year. We have no paid employees and
are run entirely by volunteers.

--Ida Skarson McCormick