VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2006

From:
Aaron Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:36:08 +0000
I am trying to locate the birthplace of Wesley Calvin (W.C.) GEORGE who was
born 29 Dec 1840 in Virginia. His obituary lists his birthplace as
Shanadvak, Virginia. I have never been able to find this name. (It may be a
misinterpretation of Shenandoah.) I have been searching since 1989 without
any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron Hill
Salem, Oregon

Wesley Calvin GEORGE
b. 29 Dec 1840
Virginia
d. 5 Feb 1922
Bradley, Clark County, South Dakota

m. 2 Apr 1874
Johnson County, Kansas

Rebecca Lurana POTEET (PETEET)
b. 21 Dec 1857
Jackson County, Missouri
d. 8 Oct 1931
Bradley, Clark County, South Dakota

parents
William Bird POTEET & Nancy BAILEY

daughter
Nora Frances GEORGE
b. 1 Aug 1889
Cottonwood, Clark County, South Dakota
d. Dec 1976
Watertown, Codington County, South Dakota

1860 United States Federal Census Record

Name:Wm B Poteet
Age in 1860:36
Birth Year:abt 1824
BirthPlace:Alabama
Home in 1860:Division 35, Jackson, Missouri
Gender:Male
Post Office:Westport

Household Members:NameAge
Wm B Poteet
36
Nancy Poteet
36
Malicie J Poteet
13
James A Poteet
12
William H Poteet
9
Samuel H Poteet
9
Sarah S R Poteet
7
Rebecca L Poteet
3
Missouri E Poteet
7.12
M W Henderson
25
James Fitzwater
14
David Grod
22

1870 United States Federal Census Record
about Nancy Peteet
Name:Nancy Peteet
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1825
Age in 1870:45
BirthPlace:Tennessee
Home in 1870:Shawnee, Johnson, Kansas

Race:White
Gender:Female

Post Office:Olathe

1880 United States Federal Census Record

Name:W. C. George
Home in 1880:Warren, Poweshiek, Iowa
Age:40
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1840
BirthPlace:Virginia
Relation to head-of-household:Self
Spouses's Name:R. L.
Father's birthplace:VA
Mother's birthplace:VA

Occupation:Farmer
Marital status:Married
Race:White
Gender:Male

1900 United States Federal Census Record
about Wesley C George
Name:Wesley C George
Home in 1900:Cottonwood, Clark, South Dakota
Age:59
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1841
BirthPlace:Virginia
Relationship to head-of-house:Head
Spouses's Name:Lurana R
Race:White

1910 United States Federal Census Record

Name:Wesley C George
Age in 1910:69
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1841
BirthPlace:Virginia
Relation to Head of House:Head
Father's Birth Place:Virginia
Mother's Birth Place:Virginia
Spouses's Name:Rebecca L
Home in 1910:Bradley Ward 1, Clark, South Dakota
Marital Status:Married
Race:White
Gender:Male

1920 United States Federal Census Record

Name:Wesley C George
Home in 1920:Bradley, Clark, South Dakota
Age:79 years

Estimated Birth Year:abt 1841
BirthPlace:Virginia
Relation to Head of House:Head
Spouses's Name:Rebecca
Father's Birth Place:Virginia
Mother's Birth Place:Virginia
Marital status:Married
Race:White
Sex:Male
Home owned:Own
Able to read:Yes
Able to Write:Yes

1930 United States Federal Census Record

Name:Rebecca George
Home in 1930:Bradley, Clark, South Dakota
Age:72

Estimated Birth Year:abt 1858
BirthPlace:Kansas