VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2001

Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 17:58:36 EDT
The following info was published by The Illinois State Journal Company,
Springfield, Ill. - 1870
 "The territory of Illinois was organized into a county, by the legislature
of Virginia on the 12th of December 1778, and John Todd was appointed
Lieutanant Commander there of, by Patrick Henry, the Governor of the state of
Virgiinia."
  Patrick Henry served as Governor of Virginia twice, 1776-1779, and
1784-1786.  So John Todd was appointed during  Henry's irst term in office.
What I am interested in is, who is this John Todd.  I have a list of Todd's I
found on Roots Celler, but no John.    I also have a Robert Smith Todd, b. 25
 Feb 1791 in Lexington, Fayette, Ky and married Betsy Humphries.  As I
remember, they were the parents of Elizabeth an Mary Todd. Elizbeth married
Ninan Edwards, and Mary married Abraham Lincoln.
  Now my question is who is John Todd as he was apparently     borrn earlier
than Robert Smith Todd, and what is his connection to the Todd Family.
Anyone having any info, I would very much like to hear from you.   Thanks.,
       Jerry Margrave

.