VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 10:22:27 -0500
Kathy is correct, however in all matters where prohibitions are provided under certain circumstances by the law, the ultimate and bottom line question (and the one I answered) is "OK, so the law says that, but the landowner says that under no circumstances will he give me permission to come on the property. So what do I do????"

The REAL answer, no matter what the law says, is: Go to your lawyer, checkbook in hand, and tell him you want very much to enforce that portion of that VA law that says the landowner must allow you ingress for a visit to that cemetery.  The lawyer will say to you, "OK, that is fine, but remember that we must go to court and prove that what you want to do is 'reasonable'. He further will say, "I will require a retainer, and, of course, that case will involve more money for me, for witnesses, for court costs and filing fees, several days away from work by you, and likely will take 6 weeks to 6 years before the court will hear your case and render a decision. Shall we go ahead, Mr. Client???"  Then, you say what??????

For the short while that I practiced law before opting for a business career, I had a very good client named Bill.  He called me on my car phone one morning and told me that a certain landowner - Mr. George Spradling - was sitting atop some important equipment that Bill had left there when the lease expired the day before, had locked the gate, and would not let Bill come on the property to recover that equipment.  I said, "He has no right to keep you out, Bill".  He said "But Paul, what do I do about Mr. Spradling's shotgun?"

The point is made; some rights are difficult and very costly to enforce.

Genealogy without documentation is nothing.
                     Paul Drake JD
                Genealogist & Author
            <www.DrakesBooks.com>