VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2006

From:
Tucker Ranson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tucker Ranson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:41:58 -0500
For ink jet printers, there are inks which are
advertised as archival. Paper lasts, but not
forever. And in addition to paper and ink, there
is also the question of storage conditions ---
for example, acid free boxes or notebooks,
temperature and humidity, etc. Even in the New
York Public Library, it is sad to see books, not
that old (less than 150 years) crumbling at the edges.

On the other side, it you store digitally, one
should check and recopy material every few years.
And store copies in two (or more) different
places. The fire at the Library at Alexandra was
a cultural disaster in part because some of the material was the only copy.

Multiple storage and multiple methods might be
the way to go. As students of the past we should
be aware that we never know what the future may bring.

Tucker