VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2004

From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:15:42 GMT
How would I locate a grave site in Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania County area.  My ancestors resided in that area from about 1780 until after the Civil War. Some left Fredericksburg and settled in Pennsylvania around 1853, and returned after the Civil War. One of my ancestors fought in the 54th Massachusetts, and returned to Virginia after the Civil War. He died of consumption around 1872 while residing on Barton Street in Fredericksburg. His mother also resided on Barton Street in Fredericksburg.

I believe there is a family graveyard, or a Colored Graveyard in Fredericksburg. I know it was common for folks to bury their loved ones on their property, but I believe they are in a church cemetery. I was in Fredericksburg in 1999, and found only one colored graveyard. It did not go back far enough, and I saw no listings for my ancestors.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Anita Wills

Notes And Documents of Free Persons of Color-Available at Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1411603338/qid=1098122382/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/103-8775456-1855815