VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2002

From:
"Roger L. Goodman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger L. Goodman
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 09:12:20 -0400
Greetings, all!

     With this weekend being Memorial Day, and several of you will be
traveling to cemeteries, I would like to suggest that you take a digital
camera with you, and take some photos of the tombstones in the cemeteries
that you visit.  Small cemeteries can easily be covered by one person, but
larger cemeteries would need several people to take photos.
     Perhaps we need some coordination here, but mostly I think people
could just go out and take some photos.  If coordination is needed, I
would be willing to try to keep tabs on who's doing what, at least for
Albemarle County; I don't know if I am ready to try to keep tabs on what
everyone is doing in the whole state!  :)
     This is just an idea I'm floating/proposing, since cemeteries usually
look their best at Memorial Day, and it usually isn't too hot yet to be
out.
     There is at least one website posting photos of Virginia cemeteries
(don't have the website info with me at the moment, but I can track it
down), so there is somewhere to put all these photos once we gather them.
     I personally am looking at the possibility of going down to North
Garden or Scottsville to take photos, but will relenquish those sites if
someone else desires to do them.
     My camera gets about 400 VGA-size photos on each 32MB
compact-flash(tm) memory card (I have two), so I should be able to get
through one cemetery at least.  Batteries will be the thing to remember to
take.  :)
     If enough interest is generated, I will post a list of what
cemeteries are scheduled to be covered, on Saturday or Sunday, so everyone
will know what is going on by Monday.  If there is no interest, well, then
I'll let this die, and continue covering cemeteries as I get time.
     Sorry to be so long-winded, but I'm just throwing some thoughts onto
the screen.  Roger    [log in to unmask]