VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2003

From:
"Grundset, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Grundset, Eric
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 11:58:58 -0400
Scott,

W. L. Maupin was the Albemarle County clerk in the early 1900s. He prepared this wonderful index. The only copy I've seen was at the courthouse in Charlottesville. In 2000 the Shadwell Chapter, NSDAR, received permission from Shelby Marshall, Albemarle County Clerk of Court, to reproduce the index for placement in the Albemarle County Historical Society and the DAR Library in Washington. So, we have a copy of it now too.

From the introduction to the copy:

"We are grateful to the late W. L. Maupin, who compild information cards for testate and intestate settlements from 1744 to abou 1910 in Albemarle County, Virginia. Half a century passed, and the late Eva W. Maupin typed this information from those cards in 1968, and in doing so, has provided a real treasure for researchers in Albemarle County.

Actually, many of the references are to will books, but many others are to chancery court cases. The Albemarle County clerk's office transferred these cases to the Library of Virginia a few years ago for preservation and arrangement. To view the loose papers, then, one must go to Richmond, not Charlottesville. I do not know if they've been microfilmed or not; something in my memory says that some have been, but I'd check on that. I have found many case files for my own Albemarle County families among these chancery cases. They are chocked full of information.

Eric

Eric G. Grundset
Library Director
DAR Library