VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2009

From:
Yvonne and Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yvonne and Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:44:14 -0400
Hi Judith,

Straighten this out? Probably not, but I can explain what we did. Per the
Montgomery personal property tax list microfilm there are 2 book covers for
the 1787 tax lists. The first book cover says "A". However there are 2 tax
lists in this book. The first tax list is by Bird Smith. The second tax list
is by David McGavock. The second book cover says "B" and there is only one
tax list in this book. This tax list is by James Newell.

In almost all cases there is only one tax list per book and each book has a
handwritten letter to identify it as A, B, etc. The 1787 books are a bit
different. What we did is use consecutive letters, starting with A, for all
three lists, in the order that they are microfilmed. This results in us
calling the Bird Smith list as A, the David McGavock list as B and the James
Newell list as C (even though the book called this one B).

By the way, there is no standardization for calling these lists A, B, etc.
Someone wrote the letter designations after the book labels were
type-written. We have noticed so many consectutive years where the A in one
year is a B or C for the next year. What is really important is to know who
the commissioner was and/or what district the tax list is for.

We think it rather humorous that the only list without it's own cover, our B
list, is the only list that Netti Schreiner-Yantis and ourselves have with
the same letter assigned to it !!

Steve and Bunny

Binns Genealogy CD Series
Scanned Microfilm Images on CD