VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2008

From:
Alice Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alice Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 07:38:46 -0800
I have thoroughly enjoyed the comments regarding Ancestry/LDS Data/Heritage Quest, etc.  Now I have a question for Vicki...you mention

"I've found that the best investment that I've made was in a digital camera with a document setting. It saves time and money copying docs in courthouses as well as copying pages from reference books in libraries."

I have often thought this would be a good method of obtaining copies of certain records and purchased a camera probably ten years ago...however, it never did what I wanted so gave up on it...Would you perhaps discuss this type of camera for those of us who are challenged by this digital technology?

Also, any of you who may have experience in using  "digital pens" in copying old handwriting like in the deeds and wills...I would love to hear about that technology.  When I first learned of "DocuPen" I contacted the manufacturer to ask about that use and to see what they would say to providing one for me to try and give them a report...needless to say they were not impressed with my offer and suggested I buy one, and they had nothing to offer about the results of that type of scanning...so I did not buy it when they could not answer my questions.

Alice in Fluvanna