VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2002

Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 20:08:32 EST
Hi Ted. The William HODGES, JR. who married Elizabeth COCKE in 1795 in
Goochland (In a marriage bond book) was the s/o William HODGES SR. (who was
mentioned as his Father who was living in Louisa) who married Elizabeth
COCKE's Aunt, Elizabeth COCKE, in Goochland in 1774 (That marriage recorded
in the Douglas Register). I'm not sure that William HODGES, SR.'s Wife
Elizabeth COCKE was the Mother of William HODGES, JR. though, as it's
possible William HODGES, SR. was married before and had William HODGES, JR.
with his first Wife. If not, William HODGES, JR. married his first Cousin.

I don't get to hung up on SR. & JR. being used to differentiate between
Father and Son though, unless it's stated like in that marriage bond in 1795.
As you know the titles were often used to differentiate different people in
the same County with the same names and the SR. & JR. disappear as the people
move on to other Counties.

I only have documentation to connect to my GGGG Grandfather William S.
HODGES, most likely b. in Louisa in ~ 1795. I believe he connects to this
line we're discussing though. A possible line would be Welcome William HODGES
= Ann TURNER ----> William HODGES = Susannah LOVELL or his older Brother
Benjamin HODGES = Elizabeth STEVENSON ------> William HODGES, SR. = Elizabeth
COCKE (or an earlier Wife) -----> William HODGES, JR. = Elizabeth COCKE ---->
William S. (most likely Samuel after his Mother's Uncle) HODGES. This line is
TOTALLY undocumented but my latest theory.

Hope to hear back from you after you review your notes when you were
exchanging information back in the late 1990s with others on these
Goochland/Louisa Co. HODGES all living within a few miles of the Goochland
Co./Louisa Co. border so nera to each other.

Best regards, Tim