VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2002

From:
Mary Ann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:58:43 -0500
I feel that the persons who use Ancestry lie in two categories. These who
are two far away and physically handicapped and those who look for clues
wherever. The single most important thing is learn how to make the searches
work. There are numerous ways to search besides surnames. Sometimes as in
the case of the census records you have to search on First name and county
then narrow it down. There are other ways to. Be inventive.

All records are not flawless! My Mother's and Father's marriage lic. has
many problems. Most of them caused by my Father and Mother. Living a
distance of 150 miles from a decent research center I use Ancestry for most
of my research. When I am able to get to the research library I spend part
of my time verifying or disproving the information I have gathered. The rest
of the time I look for original sources.

All records are as reliable as the persons giving  or taking the them. You
can't blame that on Ancestry. Original copies of  census records, military
records, State marriage records and birth records are just that, ORIGINAL
not transcribed.

All of the information you add to your data should be checked and documented
by you unless you receive original sources.

My 2 cents. I have belonged to ancestry for three years and they have always
been fair as long as I follow their guidelines. Is is true fore all
organizations.

Mary Ann in Kansas