VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

From:
Richard Fulton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Fulton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:26:52 -0500
A question I am hoping someone on the list can help with.    I am aware
that while today designating someone a Sr and Jr refer to Father and Son,
in the past these designations were often used simply to delineate two men
of the same name in the same area, not even necessarily related, although
obviously they usually they were.

Questions:
1.   In the will record summarized below, does the designation of Richard
Vanlendegan as SR., necessarily mean there was another Richard Vanlendegan
(Vanlandingham) alive at the time in the area?      Or might it simply
refer to a man of aged years?
2.  How old would the second Richard Vanlendegan need to be?     Would he
need to also be an adult to have one man designated Sr?    Or if there was
another Richard Vanlandegan who was a young child, might they still have
begun referring to the elder as Sr. in documents.

I am a Vanlandingham (Vallandingham as they moved to Farifax, VA and on to
KY) descendant.    Thanks for your help.

1726 Richard "Vanlandegan", Sen. and Michael Vanlandegan were witnesses to
the will of Samuel Winstead, Sen., of St. Stephen's Parish,VA.
(Northumberland
County,VA. Record Book 1726-1729, page 32A.)

Thanks,   Rich Fulton, [log in to unmask]
World Wide Mid-Market Sales Executive, S/390 SW, SWG
IBM, home office
1420 West Main Street, Apt. 1008
Lewisville, TX.  75067  USA
Phone: 972-434-1033, t/l 450-8996