VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2010

From:
SHIRLEY-REILLY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 2010 16:16:41 +0000
Is this the place I send requests for information?  I hope so.

I am looking for information about a lady who had a baby girl in the Alexandria Virginia hospital on the 27th of January 1933.  I know that her name is listed as Ruth Mansfield Clark.  I know that she could not keep the baby and gave her to a couple who lived in Alexandria, Virginia who wanted a child.

I have found that this child was never issued a birth certificate and the only notation of the name the child was given was found in the records at a church in Alexandria for her christening.

This child was me and I was not told about this until I was 62 years old.  I am now 77.  Of course the couple (Margaret and Lloyd Lawrence) had both passed on by that time.  No one still living new any thing more then that she brought me to the house on South Lee street and a neighbor, who by the time I found out had also died, took her to Hoadly Virginia which is in Prince William County.

I have looked at the 1930 census and some prior, checked lots of records of near by County's, talked to lots of people and have not found one avenue that ends in the truth.  I have been to the registrar's office in Virginia and they will not let me look at her hospital record, but they finally read the information to me only after a special request.  Her record says that she was 33 or 38 years old at the time. I was told that the 3 or 8 is very hard to read.  No husband was listed.

If any of you who are researching the Mansfield (I think this is her birth name) and/or Clark name come up with any little fact please let me know.

I know that she had at least seven or eight children and could not keep me.  It was the depression and she did what she had to.  I bless her as she but me into the hands of two very lovely people.

I so very much would like to know something about her, my birth father and sibling.

Please, the least little bit of information will be greatly appreciated.

I thank each and every one of you for taking the time to read this and will look forward to any answer.

Shirley Lawrence Reilly