VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

Date:
Sat, 22 May 2010 06:00:53 -0400
I think that my 'best' and 'impossible' find was sent me by another kind researcher... I owe her my eternal thanks!
My grandmother always talked about her great-grandfather who was a captain in the American Revolution... well you know how that goes... they were ALL captains or some other officer, however I could find NOTHING for our William York in re: to the revolution.
One night someone told me they had found reference to my York group on Google... and I tried a search and come up with nothing... so I emailed her back and she sent me the links.
Link one was a photo of my great-grandfather Abraham Huddleston 'Hud' York in his Civil war uniform in a book on the war - I bought the book.
Link two was a court case involving his father, Josiah Cowan York - I was able to save it...
Link three was a Congressional record approving the petition of Captain William York and awarding his pension to his heirs! One of whom was Josiah, the only living male in 1860! William had been denied a pension and was described as a 'mercenary' due to the fact he had formed his own 'troop of horse' to keep his community safe from the British and Loyalists... and all the cousins (too many men named York to count!) joined his 'troop'. Well, William filed in 1832, died in 1837, and the pension was approved, thanks to a pay list in the N.C. archives, in 1860! I know that Josiah pushed his father's application, and now I had the pleasure of adding a 'memory' marker for Josiah's father beside Josiah's grave. It reads 'Captain William York' 'Troop of Horse' Randolph County, N.C., American Revolution! Well maybe not those exact words but you get the point.
So, never give up - you just never know when an 'angel' will bless you with that ONE paper you really need!

As far as the Powhatan County records, as with all Commonwealth of Virginia's records, they have been copied by the LVA and can be found in the library... good think since the county does not take much care with the old records.

Diane S

  Earlier Fern mentioned that occasionally, pockets of information could
  be found at courthouses that possibly existed nowhere else.

  I've always wanted to believe it could happen but was afraid it was an
  urban myth.

  Have any of you actually had the good luck to find a collection no one
  else seemed to know of?

  Alice A.