VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2019

From:
Jeaneane Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2019 17:17:55 -0400
There are good records of James Flinn in Lunenburg Co, VA at least as
early as 1752 where he was on the Tithables List with his presumed
father Laughlin Flinn.  I am assuming that would make James born c.
1731.  He was in the Colonial Militia in 1758.

His father Laughlin/Loflin died before May Court 1759, having written
his will in September 1758 where he names his sons James, George, John
and Thomas and his wife (likely Elizabeth) -- but also mentions "all my
children" at one point, so possibly a daughter named Isabella, as well
as a "godson" named Laughlin.  (Godson may have meant grandson at that
time.)

Various people have "claimed" this family, but I'm convinced that it
might be my ancestors -- and that some researchers have not considered
all the information available.  I'd very much like to correspond with
anyone who is looking at this family in either Virginia or North
Carolina.  Here's why.

Laughlin (Laughland) Flyn proved in 1739 that he was eligible for land
in Virginia because he'd come into "this colony ... from Ireland in
1718."  He had land as early as 1726 in what was then Prince George Co,
VA and was living near several other ancestors of mine in an area near
the Otterdam Swamp.  While all the county lines changes are confusing,
it's fairly clear that he later had land on the Bluestone River -- in
what became Amelia Co., probably later still Lunenburg or Mecklenburg
Co, VA.

A 1772 deed notes that James Flin was willed 450 acres by his father and
that he sold it to his brother George.  There are other deeds for the
next several years in which James is involved in what sound like some
shady land dealings.  It appears his wife died before November 1778,
leaving him with five children whom he is unable to care for -- they are
"turned over to the church" for care (Polly, Peter, Sukey, Samuel and
Stephen).  The last record I've found of James in VA is when he sells
land "on the Bluestone" in 1791.

But then a James Flin turns up in Rutherford Co, NC, buying land in May
1794 on Second Broad River.  In September 1795, James conveys "land he
was living upon" to his son John.  Critically, a Peter Flinn is listed
as a witness on a deed in July 1794 for some of the neighbors on James's
1794 deed, so it seems very possible this could have been the son Peter
mentioned in Virginia records.

So here are two known sons of a man named James Flynn/Flinn -- John and
Peter -- and James himself in Rutherford Co, NC in 1794.  Is this the
same family that were in Lunenburg Co, VA in 1791?

By the 1800 census, there are two John Flinns in Rutherford Co, NC.  One
of them is believed to be the father of my ancestor Paul Flinn, who was
born about 1791 in Virginia (according to an 1850 census and a
daughter's death certificate).

In the 1810 Rutherford Co census, there are two Johns Flinns again,
though the census is up for question about which line of digits refers
to whom on the page; nevertheless, because of an 1816 deed in which John
Flinn Senr sells land to John Flinn Junr., it is apparent there are two.

And one of them is almost surely the father of Paul Flinn, who is
mentioned in several of the deeds as witness, including the one between
John Sr. and John Jr.

Does anyone out there have any further documentation that would prove
James Flinn, son of Laughlin, as the father of John Flinn Sr., father of
Paul Flinn b c 1791 - d 1868 and buried at Bill's Creek Baptist Church
in Rutherford Co, NC?

Jeaneane Williams ([log in to unmask])