VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2008

From:
Cindy McCachern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cindy McCachern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:30:50 -0500
Why would someone inform the court of a woman's bastardy?  Would there be
any implication of paternity?  I have found this reference:

15 November 1693--Katherine Barroch for Bastardy; informer, Nicholas
Cornewell.

Source: Somerset Judicial Records, 1692-96, Abstracts with Selected
Transcriptions as found on Archives of Maryland Online

As you can see, this reference is from Maryland, but I know so many of you
are so knowledgeable about colonial matters that I thought you might be able
to help. I also believe this may relate to my Virginia Cornwell family.  Why
would Nicholas Cornewell have been the informer?  Would he have some
relationship to Katherine?

Cindy