VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2003

Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 23:39:22 EST
I made a discovery at the Library of VA in Richmond this week. I found that
the Welcome William HODGES' son William HODGES is not the one that married
Susanna LOVELL in Goochland in 1758, as reported in several
ancestry/rootsweb.com listings. William and Susanna are my GGGGGG
Grandparents thru their Son John, b. 1759 in Goochland, who married Frances
SHELTON in 1790 in Goochland. The William married to Susanna I believe is the
s/o of John HODGES of Goochland (probably a Brother of Welcome William HODGES
since they named their children similar names and lived very close to each
other in Goochland in the 1730s). The William HODGES married to Susanna
LOVELL had a child David in 1774 (according to the Douglas register) after
the marriage date of William HODGES and Elizabeth COCKE earlier in the same
year 1774.

I know the William that married Elizabeth COCKE is Welcome William HODGES'
son William since they sell a piece of property together in Goochland in 1771
right before Welcome dies in 1772. That 1771 deed names Welcome William
HODGES and William HODGES, Jr. from Trinity Parish in Louisa selling a 100
acres that Welcome had given William in 1754 (part of 300 acres Welcome had
obtained in 1730 in Goochland. He also gave 100 acres to each of his other
two sons Benjamin and Jesse in 1754). There is only one William HODGES in
Louisa at that time (according to the tithables in Louisa) and he is the
owner of  a piece of property called Attonce (called Deep Creek till the
early 1900s) in Louisa and is married to Elizabeth COCKE in 1774 in Goochland
(from the book "Old Homes of Louisa").

There were only three William HODGES in Goochland around the time a William
married Susanna LOVELL in 1758, according to the Goochland Tithables. One was
the son of John, one the son of Welcome William and the other an overseer of
a piece of property. The overseer could be the William that married Susanna
LOVELL but I feel it is John's William because Susanna and William named
their first Child John. At least I know it is not Welcome William HODGES' son
William who owned Attonce/Deep Creek.

Regards, Tim Spradling