VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2003

From:
Lou Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lou Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:08:49 -0500
I don't think I've seen this asked before, much less answered.
Heretofore I have been assuming that one had to be 21 years old to
have been the legal recipient of a patent in Colonial Virginia.  But
I'm now running into some data where that assumption may be a problem
in making the rest of my data or information "fit."

Does anyone really know, or can you confirm that the legal age to
receive a patent was 21?  Would this still be true if the patent was
issued to four brothers jointly, only one of whom might have been less
than 21?

I'm guessing that there are others on the list who would benefit from
the answer.

Thanks for any education on the issue.

Lou Poole