VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 16:55:00 -0400
I ran across this interesting website on participants in Bacon's Rebellion, their counties, miscellaneous other data, etc., when looking into Matthew Bentley, a participant, and though childless, probably a Bentley "cousin".

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fraz/bacrebs

Surry Co is by far represented by the most fellows, and the Eastern Shore (Accomac and Northampton) among the least..., Governor Berkely did find sanctuary there for a while with John Custis.

Some interesting info on him:
http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/D/1651-1700/bacon_rebel/berke.htm (this is several places)

I have not really researched participants in the rebellion, although supposedly I have a Hansford wife who would be a contemporary of Thomas Hansford (hopefully in those York Co records.)

Best Regards,
Janet Hunter