VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2003

From:
Marilyn Canfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marilyn Canfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:01:04 -0500
There is a book :Wasted Valor
The Confederate Dead at Gettysburg
by Gregory Coco
published in 1990  (I was able to get this through my library.)
that shows what happened after Gettysburg..how the bodies were
handled..there are some graphic pictures, but it is a good read.
It tells of the Dr. that helped send over 2,000, (I believe it was) bodies
back to Hollywood cemetery and how Ladies and Church organizations from the
different states had bodies disinterred and shipped home..This also happened
in VA..the book " Defend the Valley"
mentions this happening around Winchester .

One of my distant relatives was one of those sent back with other corpses in
large boxes..to Hollywood
Cemetery in Richmond.  We just heard of this in the past two years..and were
told the boxes were laid out in rows..and while the number of the box was
known, the placement of the box in the rows was not. Imagine the relief of
my cousin when she found out what had happened to her gr uncle's body.  He
too was a part of Picketts charge.

Marilyn Canfield