VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2012

From:
William M <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2012 09:36:15 -0400
Thank you for your comments. I should note that the pidlepoop record was on page 333 of Orange County Order Book 2 (27 Mar 1741).

With regard to the comments that it was probably a poor quality whiskey, I compared the 2 Shilling price of pidlepoop to other Liquors which were rated on page 132 of the same order book (20 Mar 1740).

Rum per Gallon--------------------- 8 Shillings
Virginia Brandy per Gallon-------- 6 Shillings
Rye Brandy per Gallon------------- 4 Shillings
Madera Wine per Quart------------ 2 Shillings
White sugar punch per Quart------1 Shilling
Brown sugar punch per Quart---- 0 Shillings---- 10 Pence

So it seems pidlepoop was not highly regarded, even "White sugar punch" was twice the price per gallon.

I have .jpg images of both records which I can email to anyone wishing to view them.
You may contact me at: [log in to unmask]

William
www.milaminvirginia.com