VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Charlie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:41:14 -0400
"Damn Yankee" is a person who visits the South and refuses to leave.
Without the "damn" they are just nice people spending money.

A couple of towns in the South are experiencing such an "invasion"
where the invaders pretty much take over the town government
and impose their  culture on the locals.

Slavery has been discussed on this forum. A despicable, inhuman,
system, which, still exists in many parts of the world.
However, some additions to the big picture. Slavery had at least
de facto support from many Northern industrialists, particularly in
Connecticut and Massachusetts. They enjoyed the cheap raw
materials, particularly cotton,  tobacco, and various
food stuffs, coming from slave states. Northern shipping interests
profited enormously from the slave trade. New Yorkers rioted
rather than be drafted to "fight for Negroes", killing many blacks
in the process. So, there was plenty of avarice to go around.

The black woman CNA who helps me, a senior at a local college, is
from Boston, MA. She was incredulous when I explained to her that
many black slaves in this state were actually owned by other blacks.
In her schools, she was taught only about the cruelty and inhumane
treatment slaves endured. Unfortunately there was plenty of that.
But, she was never taught about the "illegal" slave schools plantation
owners provided  or the land given to them upon their
manumission or before, as in my gg-grandfather's case.
Such facts seem to be completely ignored by our educators. Perhaps
it's not PC to mention them.
Charlie Weaver, Winston-Salem, NC