VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2004

From:
Renee Dauven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Renee Dauven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 15:13:57 -0700
        I need some help locating a source.  I have a reference to the
"Calendar of Virginia State Papers", Vol. 1, p. 389-391 and 504.  These
are supposed to be letters written by Nathaniel Randolph to then Gov.
Thomas Jefferson.  The were written from "Monongahly" near Fort Pitt
during the Revolution.  Also a letter from George Rogers Clark to
Jefferson stating "I met with Mr. Randolph from Pittsburg...".  Does
anyone know if this source is online and have a URL for it?
        I did find in the LVA Digital Library a Database of Correspondence to
the Governor which matches, at least in part, the description given
above but TIF is very difficult for me to read.  The place is correct,
the date is right but the sender is wrong, although the letter does
mention a Mr. Nathl Randolph.
        So my question is: Are the "Calendar" and the "Correspondence Database"
essentially the same source?  I think that it is the same letter but
can't tell for sure and would like to compare it to the printed version
if possible...and to find the other letter mentioned.
        Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Renee L. Dauven