VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 19:02:53 EST
Hello Everyone,

Recently on the Rowan Roots North Carolina list a question was raised about
the 1623 Census of Virginia.  I responded that there are four different
online versions (one partial), and that I had a document with all four
(because I kept losing track of what I named them, which was which, etc.).

I thought there might be some new folks on these larger Va lists that would
also be interested (and apologize for cross postings), so I send or resend as
the case may be the information here.

Here are the four versions and their URLs

First -- Census arranged by location, with living in first section, and dead
(also by location) in a separate section at the end.  The format is in
columns which has its good and bad points.  Names are not alphabetized

It is at the UsGenweb Archives for VA here --
 http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ifetch2?/u1/data/va+index+362759053665+F

Second -- The census is arranged by location, with the living and dead listed
together within each location.  It is not columnar and I prefer this over the
first (in conjunction with the third).  Names are not alphabetized

It is at a private website, along with other information in a document called
"Complete Book of Emigrants" here --
http://www.runningdeerslonghouse.com/webdoc38.htm

Third is a strictly alphabetical listing of the living only it appears, with
location also noted.  It is at UsGenweb VA archives here --

http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ifetch2?/u1/data/va+index+362859093214+F

Fourth is an incomplete listing that gives the name of the person, their
status, lists head of their household, their ship and date of arrival, and
date census was taken.  It is arranged alphabetically by the name of the
ship.  There ARE people on this list not found on the other three, but there
are many people (and ships) not on this list.

It is also at the Us Genweb Va ARchives  here --
http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ifetch2?/u1/data/va+index+362959158642+F

(Note this document is several columns wide and I can't get it to fit
decently into a Word document where each entry takes up only one line. (nor
can I print it out well)....But it is my favorite and I wish it were
complete.)

If for some reason you cannot access the URLs, I'd be happy to send you my
combined (separate lists in one document) information.  It is 68 pages long.

Also it is my assumption, but I have not cross-checked that all the persons
on #1 appear on #2 and #3, with the exception of the dead not on #3.

My best regards,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter