VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2005

From:
Alice Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alice Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:11:25 -0800
Hi to the List

I would once again enjoy your comments - suggestions -
ideas.

Known facts: The subject is a man born in Fluvanna in
1889,
and was in the Charlottesville Magesterial District in
1910 (Albemarle).  He was married in Charlottesvile
July 1913. In 1917
he was living in Charlottesville, VA (in town)

In reviewing the WW I Draft Registration Card dated
June 5, 1917, for possible new data on this man, one
of the questions was about prior military service; the
response  was "private Co D - three years VA NG"

My questions for you:
1.   May I assume this is Virginia National Guard?
2.   How is the Virginia National Guard organized?
3.   In 1917 he would be 27 y/o, so this service could
have been
     between age 16 to 27, but I think it likely prior
to his
     marriage in 1913, so possibly between 1906 -
1913.
4.   Where would these records be found?  I am
thinking it would
     be a unit in either Albemarle or Charlottesville.

Thanks
Alice in Fluvanna