VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2008

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:06:35 -0400
Donald,

Thank you very much.  The Sandridge family in Albemarle Co., VA (headed by a
William Sandridge, Jr., who was a son of a William Sandridge, Sr. who died
in Spotsylvania Co., VA in the mid-1700s, as I recall) has been researched
quite thoroughly, and no one from that "Albemarle branch of the family"
seems to "claim" the James Sandridge who married Judith Locke, nor the John
Sandridge who married Mary Davidson.  It appears from your analysis that it
is certainly POSSIBLE that the son of James and Judith (Locke) Sandridge
named John Sandridge COULD have been the man who married Mary Davidson by at
least 1778.  In truth, I can't imagine who else it could have been, based on
what has been established about the "Albemarle/Amherst/Fluvanna branch" of
this overall Sandridge/Sandidge/Sandige family out of England and then New
Kent and Hanover Co., VA.  The William Sandridge, Senior mentioned above had
other children, and he also had two known brothers named Thomas Sandridge
and John Sandridge (all sons of an older John Sandridge and his
Vaughan/Vaughn wife).  I suspect that the James Sandridge who married Judith
Locke, and whose son John Sandrdige chose Drury Woodson as his guardian, was
out of one of these other (less well researched) branches of the above
family (ditto the "mystery" Gideon Sandridge who bought or sold land in
Goochland Co., VA in the 1750s).

The above LOVa marriage record is the ONLY record in existence, it would
appear, that makes any mention of this Mary Davidson (almost certainly a
heretofore unknown daughter of my ggggg-grandparents Hezekiah and Tabitha
(Childers) Davidson).  I guess this is a good example of the need to "turn
over every rock" before one can say that he/she has identified everyone in
the family.  There are several excellent "long time researchers" of
Buckingham and Cumberland Co., VA with whom I have exchanged a "ton" of
information, and none of them had ever seen anything on this Mary Davidson
before.  Her given name COULD be a clue to the name of the mother of
Hezekiah Davidson (since Tabitha Childer's mother was named Elizabeth).

Thanks again,

Bill Davidson