VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2000

Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:48:39 EST
I have a real problem and hope that some of the smart folks on this mail list
can help.

I have three men with the same name who are all related and whom were though
to be Rev War soldiers from VA.

Several of us ordered the three men's  records from NARA and we all got the
same man's records, the one whom we know had a pension. Thank goodness for
that pension, because that record lets us know that indeed the 12 pay and
muster records are for this man. Now why the records of the other two years
he served were not get sent to us, I do not know.

So, when one man, called "Old Capt" Thomas McClanahan, was requested, they
said that records for service prior to the Am. Rev would be in the state
records.

How do I find out if there are any records in VA for him?  I know a gread
deal about this man. He was born ca 1730 in Cople Parish in either
Westmoreland or King William Co.  He married Margaret Strother in King George
Co. about 1749-50.

Someone sent this to me:

Hennings Vol 7 page 229. 1756. To Col. Lee pay for Capt. Wm. Tabbs and Capt.
Thomas McClanahan's  Companies of militia to Aug. 30, 1756, incl. muster
roll;
VA Records by Crozier Vol. 5. p 96. Fauquier Co.. Capt. Thomas Mc Clanahan,
27 Sept 1759-26 June 1761.

I have not seen these books but will try and locate them.  Does this mean
that there are records available as a *proof* that this man served in some
capacity locally?

He lived in Fauquier and Culpeper Counties and by 1780 was getting land in
KY. There are several land grants and it is thought that he got this for
military service. Did men get land for militia service?

I would like to get copies of this kind of records if someone can point me in
the right direction.

Thank you for your help.

gale