VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
Chuck West <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:07:52 -0600
I don't often comment, but I've been lurking for the better part of nine
years. You have the right idea, Jean ... to listen and learn. Old-timers,
right or wrong, can get a little bit crusty when someone who's just arrived
(relatively) either tries to act like they know it all or they ask questions
that indicate they haven't done any basic research. I doubt if it's even
possible to ask intelligent questions without spending a little bit of time
at the library, first ... or at least reading up on genealogy and having
some sense of what's going on. Asking questions is always helped by
providing as much information (who, what, where, when) as you have, and by
staying on topic. Current events and rants on politics, religion, or any
such topic will usually get you snapped at by someone. We haven't had a real
sniping war for quite some time, and I hope (knock wood) we don't. Paul and
Henry have been quite gracious in sharing their knowledge and if you listen
to them long enough you'll learn a lot. Welcome to you and all the rest of
the newbies.

Chuck West, a former newbie, now getting crusty in Indiana