VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2010

From:
Jane Ailes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:31:47 -0500
Madaline,

Using Dee Ann Buck's /Abstracts of Frederick County, VA Wills,
Inventories & Accounts 1743-1816/ I find:

Frederick Co., VA Will Book 1, page 182 contains the administrator's
bond for John Chambers' estate. The amount of the bond was 150 pounds.
John Frost was noted as the administrator and Richard Morgan and Robert
Worthington were his surety.  The bond was signed and recorded on 8 Jun
1748.

The fact that John Frost is the administrator indicates that John
Chambers did not leave a will, or if there was one, the court did not
allow it to be recorded (many different reasons why this could have
happened).  If a will had been proven and recorded, John Frost would be
identified as the executor of the estate.

Frederick Co., VA Will Book 3, page 44 contains the inventory and
appraisal of the estate of John Chambers taken on 26 Mar 1762 and
recorded on 1 Jun 1762.  The total amount of the appraisal was 10
pounds, 10 shillings.

Frederick Co., VA Will Book 3, page 114 contains the 1762 account
settlement for the estate of John Chambers.  This document was recorded
on 2 Mar 1763.  The administrator is noted as William Chambers.

Check Nugent's /Cavaliers and Pioneers/ book series for the Virginia
Patent or Grant that John Chambers may have received. It sounds like you
have already checked the Northern Neck Proprietary grant books
(available online at the Library of VA web site).  Have you checked
Joyner's series of books for Northern Neck Surveys?  John Chambers may
have surveyed land that he assigned to someone else to carry through to
the grant.   I would also want to see all the county deed records for
land owned by this family (Orange, Frederick, and Berkeley Counties).
Deeds will often explain family relationships, etc., etc.

There could be any number of reasons why the administrator's bond was
issued in 1748 and an inventory and appraisal of the estate taken in
1762.  I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you have two John
Chambers represented in these estate papers.  You should search the
Frederick Co. court order and minute books to look for the court
appointment of the administrators (John Frost in 1748 and William
Chambers prior to March 1763), and other issues related to John
Chambers' estate.  You may find some very helpful information there.   I
would also recommend viewing the three original records in the above
noted will books.  Buck does an excellent job in abstracting these
records, but there may be other details in them that will be helpful to
your research.  No matter what, it is always best to view the original
records yourself.

Hope this helps a little,
Jane Ailes