VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2010

From:
Grace Upshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2010 15:04:37 -0600
In 1778 in Halifax Co., Va. in the court records appears some notices of
the death of a certain John Hall. This John Hall left 3 heirs (no will
has appeared): Benjamin Hall; Mildred Hall, a minor child; and James
Purcell Sr.. James Purcell Sr. was named the guardian of the child,
Mildred. This James P. was probably married to a daughter of John Hall.
Her name was Elizabeth. Several entries by James Purcell Sr. in Halifax
court records show the following facts. James made a trip to Gloucester
Co., Va. on estate business to see Warner Lewis Jr. about the lease of a
slave. Later the estate paid to have the slave brought to Halifax. The
court records also show the names of 5 other slaves being leased to
Halifax Co. citizens. The rental fees were the source of the income to
support the minor child, as per the records. The mystery concerns John
Hall, the deceased. No records have been found of his living in Halifax
or Pittsylvania counties, Va., where some Hall property was owned. Some
think Mildred must have been the child of a 2nd marriage since she was
very much younger than Elizabeth (her supposed half sister) and Benjamin
(her supposed half brother). In 1791 Mildred Hall married the son of
James Purcell, James Purcell, Jr. Again, this James Jr. had to be the
son of a first wife of James Purcell Sr.. Otherwise, Mildred would have
been the aunt of James Purcell Jr. I descend from Benjamin Hall, whose
parentage has been my brick wall for 35 years. Since I believe John Hall
at one time (and probably when he died) lived in Gloucester Co, Va., I
wonder if there are any loose papers or other type Gloucester Co.
records that might throw some light on this person. Perhaps Warner Lewis
journals or other Lewis records.

Other facts about Benjamin: he married Wilmouth Irby, dau., of Anthony
Irby and they had 3 boys and 3 girls. Benjamin died in 1803. No marriage
record for Ben and Wilmouth has ever been found, so that is another
mystery.  Grateful thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this John
Hall.