VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2008

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 14:40:20 -0600
] Tobacco in Early Virginia

.... I seem not to have access to the source - Horn - to which you make
reference, and I also am unable again to quickly locate my source for the
statement that in the middle to late 17th Century the VA Legislature pegged
tobacco at 2 pence per lb., at least as far as public transactions were
entered upon, i.e., Colony to and fro debtors and creditors, colonies in
relationship with counties and vice versa, and counties in relationships
with all others.  As you know...tobacco was the medium of exchange during
that period and long thereafter, however the vehicle of settlement was
anything acceptable to those who were involved on any side of the bargain or
debt.

Paul