VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 07:56:10 EDT
  Francis Steele Sr. (wife unknown) was living in Amherst Co. Va. during the
Rev. War in the part that was formerly Albermarle.  From the records in Bed-
ford, it appears that Francis Sr. had at least four children:
(1).  Francis Jr. who was born 11 March 1759 in Alabemarle Co., Va. m. 1 July
1784 in Bedford Co. Va. Elizabeth Neal (O'Neal) daughter of Daniel and Mary
(Dodson) Neal (O'Neal). He
died in Stokes Co. (N.C.) 18 Sep 1840.
 (2) George, born ca 1761 Amherst Co., Va. m. 21 Dec 1789 Sally Gilliam and
possibly remained in Virginia.
 (3) Mary, b. ca 1763 Amherst Co., Va. m. 27 April 1789 Jacob Neal (O'Neal)
(4) Andrew, b. ca 1765 in Amherst Co., Va. m. 8 Feb 1794 Jane Asbury in
Bedford Co. Va.

Sometime before 1800 Jane and Andrew Steele followed her parents. (Thomas &
Martha (Jenning) Asbury, to Mercer Co. KY.
In Mercer Co. Tax Records I found a note that Andrew Steele had moved to
Miami.
Went to Miami KY.  Apparently Jane and Andrew never got there.  So where did
they go?
Other than Thomas J.  who were their children?  Was Andrew Steele the man
mentioned in
13 Regt (Gray's) Kentucky Militia, ?

The only child of Andrew and Jane (Asbury) Steele that I know of, according
to the census was born in Ky. in 1800..  He was living in Breckenridge Co. KY
in 1838  when he moved to DuBois, Indiana.  At that time his children
were:(All born in  Breckenridge Co. KY)
Nancy Jane, b. 1832
Mary Elizabeth b. 1834
James Taylor b. 1838

I don't know who his first wife, (mother of above children) was.

My basis for the Asbury/Steele connection is that the above Nancy Jane Steele
told my father, her grandson, that he must be very proud of his Asbury
lineage as her grandmother was Jane Asbury.

Can any of you help me fill in the gaps?

Sue K.