VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2013

From:
Gale Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:51:35 -0500
Beth, yes it is. And I have reread my note and there is maybe more good news than I actually stated. There are NOT 38 records! There are 38 RECORD BOOKS!!  I have no idea what kind: marriage, death, wills, deeds, orders, we do not know yet but if anyone had families to leave VA and go into TN and you lost them, it is very likely they dropped down into Madison Co. AL.

This area had settlers in the very early 1800s when they took a census called the "squatter's census".  It was not legal for these people to settle here as this was Indian land but they came anyway into the fertile land.  So if you realize that the earliest date that the article stated, 1813, this was 4 years before AL became a state!! It was called The Alabama Territory after the creation of the state of Mississippi. The Alabama Territory was created by the United States Congress on March 3, 1817.

But these very early records, no matter the kind, are a wonderful and amazing discovery or I should say  “return”. I remember how thrilled we were recently to read of the one book on Stafford Co VA that had been returned. Now we have 38 here!!

If you have ancestors who lived in Madison Co., AL or passed through as I did, you would adore our Huntsville Public Library’s Heritage Room. This is our large research room that has records from all the surrounding states. And the oldest county records are on the same floor in a brand new room created to house them. You have access to ALL of these old books, the real thing, and a place to sit and read and study.

I will try and let you know more when I learn more. I really appreciate the staff at the LVA allowing me to post this so that you can help pass the word along to others you know with ancestors who might have passed through Madison Co., AL.  Discoveries like this are so seldom, we need to shout it from the roof tops!!