VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2013

From:
Cynthia McDaniel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2013 10:43:15 -0500
I have found the geographic names information system website to be
invaluable about finding out where things are.  The address is below.  Note
that you can't copy the address from the weblink once you get there to save
it in favorites.  The reason is explained in red.

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic

You can find old place names, cemeteries, anything which had or has a name
in there.  You can use several different maps to get the details you want
such as Mapquest, Googlemaps, etc.  When I put in Horse Pen, Horse Pen
Branch came up in Roanoke County so the location may not have changed but
the county may have changed.  It doesn't come up at all if Amelia County is
entered.  Then again, it could be a dividing line between Roanoke and
Amelia.  I don't know that part of the state so I can't say for sure and I
didn't try to research it for you.

Hope this helps.

Cynthia McDaniel