VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
"W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
W. Scott Smith
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 13:44:05 -0400
I use my GPS for a number of things...cemetery locating/documenting is one
of them.

As a former Delorme Earthmate owner, I would advise against one. For
$100-$130, you get a GPS that -must- be used with a laptop. It has no
display screen of its own, so it has to partner up with a device that has a
screen (laptop, PDA) before it can work.

Laptops can be valuable on research missions, but I would hate to have to
carry one 1/2 mile through a briar thicket just so I could log the
coordinates of a headstone. Its heavy, and the risk of damaging the computer
is too great, in my opinion.

I would suggest getting a low-end stand-alone GPS. All GPSs do the same
thing, no matter how much they cost. The more expensive ones have bells and
whistles, like built-in maps, etc.

Garmin makes a great entry-level GPS called the eTrex "Yellow" (there are
several models of eTrex, but the yellow one is the basic one). It will log
your position, show where you are in relation to a known position (good for
finding a cemetery that already has coordinates, or for finding your car
after a day of grave-hunting). In addition, you can connect it to a laptop
or PDA in order to use it with mapping programs, etc. I like the eTrex line
because they are waterproof in addition to their other features.

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrex/

I'm sure that the other models and makes (Magellan, etc.) are good, but I
would advise against the Delorme Earthmate unless you -only- plan to use
your GPS with a laptop.

There are many excellent discussion lists about GPSs...they may be able to
give better advice than we "Rooters" can.