VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2006

Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:58:55 EDT
Are we to infer that Ann Knibb and Jamestown Hatcher are not married?
Didn't illegitimacy affect the inheritance laws in an intestate situation in the
mid-eighteenth century?

That leads me  to my next question, which may not be able to be interpreted
quite as  easily. In the following abstract, Ann Knibb is the mother of  the
"grandson" who inherited the 100A, Jamestown is the  father.
February Court 1762, Page 195-196

A  Deed indented from Ann Knibb and Jamestown Hatcher to Thomas Surls  was
proved by the Oaths Richard Covington Edward Stuart and Obedience  Stuart
Witnesses thereto. Ordered that the same be  recorded.