VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Libbie Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Libbie Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 07:06:08 -0400
Scott,

I apologize if I've offended you or anyone else by my discussion of my own
experience and views.  It is good to know that the LDS church does discuss
ethics in genealogy.  However, the church's recent collaboration with
Ancestry, Inc. as well as Ancestry's business practices regarding the rights
of the original creators of genealogical work, suggest to me that the church
perhaps needs to engage in a bit of introspection and teaching on this
subject.  You asked if I thought it fair to hold the church to account for
Ancestry's business practices. In this case, yes, I do.  The relationship is
apparently very close and the church appears to profit by it.

Libbie Griffin