VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

From:
Barbara Emert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Emert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:55:58 -0700
I am seeking help with my "brick wall".  My great grandfather is James Henson Nay who was married to Sarah F. Johnson in Albemarle Cty, Va in the 1860's.  Their son Robert Edward Lee Nay was my grandfather.  The wall is in proving the lineage of James Henson.  I believe, but cannot prove, that he is the same James Henson who is listed in the 1860 census in Marion/Harrison Cty living with wife Abigail Ashcraft Nay and children.  In the 1870 census Abigail is listed with children - but no James.  In the 1870 census for Albemarle James is listed with Sarah and two children.  In 1880, James and Abigail are listed together in West VA and Sarah and children are listed without James.  Descendants of James and Abigail have told me that they know that James left Abigail for a period of time, but most refuse to accept this theory.  Anyone who has information to prove or disprove or has suggestions for proving, please contact me.  The only document I have is James and Sarah's marriage record
 and the parents that he lists on this do not match those of the WVA James - but could have been misinformation.

PS  I have found no other James Henson during his approximate lifetime in any state.

Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
In a message dated 7/8/2003 3:19:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Those pages that contain the words Warrant No: 1613 also contain the words
> "The Heirs of David Hatcher, dec'd, private, 640 Acres". I believe this is a
> generic use of "heirs" since the military was not likely concerned with the
> number of heirs.

Hi Nel (and Paul),

To disagree a bit, my understanding is that under primogeniture, based on my
own Rev. War research, the "heir" of a fellow is first his eldest brother (not
his father unless he has no brothers). The brothers all come next. If he
has/had several then they all preceed poor Dad in order.

IF David were John's eldest brother then... I would say that John was a
brother. Think of the English monarchy...Succession doesn't (generally, except
when there are no male heirs) go back up the line to the oldsters but over (to
brothers then cousin boys) and down.

BTW, Nel..where did all this happen???? Do you have specific land grants to
go with?

My best, Janet Hunter