VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:17:51 -0500
To keep the number of great aunts and uncles in line I've found it easier to
refer to the siblings of my grandparents as "grandaunts" and granduncles"
(slightly archaic terms, but equally correct).  That way your great
grandmother and great grandaunt are of the same generation and so on.

kathy

Subject: Re: [VA-ROOTS] [DRAKE] RE: That "Removed Stuff"
Aunts and uncles are calculated  exactly the same way.  Take the number of
"greats" in the title of the ancestor and add one more "great", and you have
the title for the aunts and uncles who were brothers and sisters of that
ancestor.  So it is that a sister of your great-grandmother (1 great) is
your great-great aunt (2 greats).