VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2006

From:
"Yancey, Dennis J" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yancey, Dennis J
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:58:00 -0500
I agree

backing up to multiple servers is a great practice (and for those hooked
to a network - allows them not to have to worry about all the technical
issues)  Of course additional backup to CD/DVD on a periodic basis is
good.

JUST because some media "lasts" longer than others doesnt mean much - if
the hardware and software required is no longer
supported. There can be many technical problems with the TAPE solution -
even if the media may be valid for decades.

I dont have specifics but I believe there are various places on the WEB
that allow for data storage (backup) - with very little tehcnical know
how needed by the person placing there.  MY main recomendation is to
always have MUTIPLE backup sources (preferably on some network that you
know will be maintained and upgraded over time). If one service becomes
dysfunctional at some point you always have another source to rely on.