VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:56:06 -0500
In researching my Lee family in Orange Co. I came across two
entries in the minute books for deeds that were never recorded.
The time period was 1801 - 1803. These deeds don't show up
anywhere in the Orange Co. deed books. Among LVA's microfilm
holdings for Orange Co. are several rolls of "Partly Proven Deeds"
on which I found the two deeds mentioned in the minute books.

My question to the list is, are the "partly proven deeds" on this
microfilm, copies of the original deeds?  Based on my
understanding of the "proving" process, my first thought was that
these were the originals being held, pending the remaining
witnesses showing up before the clerk or JP.  The problem is that
the handwriting through out the deeds, including *most* of the
signatures, looks the same.

Thanks for any help!

Harriet Lee Welch

Sent via the PlanetComm WebMail system at mail.planetcomm.net