VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2005

From:
Phyllis and Jim Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phyllis and Jim Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 08:50:54 -0700
From: Phyllis and Jim Waddell
Date: 11/09/05 07:03:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Pension Application Number

  Dear List

I hope someone can answer this question for me.

I have an ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary War.  I ordered a packet
of information for him from the National Archives and received a bound
packet in which it is held together by a red ribbon and the ribbon is
affixed with a gold seal.  In the large correspondence regarding his request
for a pension, the number written regarding his case was 30389.   On the
very top of all the correspondence is a copy of a certificate with a
different number, 31,972.  The information on this certificate gives my
ancestor's name, his residence, who he served under, the amount of money he
was to receive or had received, and some other information.

I am confused about the two numbers.  Can anyone tell me what they mean.

Regards, Phyllis