VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:16:58 EST
Hello Everyone,

As the person who initially brought up the issue of quit-claim deeds (and
should have included this then in retrospect), I submit the quit-claim in
question I mentioned, along with the statement of heirs, of my 4 g grandfather James
Williams, who died intestate.  To my mind it IS very specific about the
property, which along with the statement of heirs AND James original land patent
from the Bureau of Land Managements patents website (www.glorecords.blm.gov), I
believe establishes ownership, under the laws for intestate deaths in 1844.  In
other words, while I don't dispute that there were quit-claims written in
cases of uncertainty, this seems rather conclusive.  From a research perspective,
I am extremely pleased these were all submitted the same day by the negligent
attorney.    (FYI, when I divorced my ex-husband quit-claimed the house to
me.  It was also quite specific!).

Best Regards, Janet Hunter

Moniteau Co. Mo, Deed Book D.
"Know all men by these presents that I Thomas L. Williams and my wife Frankey
of the County of Cole & the State of Missouri for and in consideration of
twenty-five dollars in this hand paid by Commodore P. Williams of County and
state aforesaid, the receipt whereby is hereby acknowledged have granted bargained
& sold & do by these presents grant bargain and convey unto the said
Commodore P. Williams his heirs and assigns forever all our interest in the following
described tracts of land, to wit, the South East Quarter of the N West quarter
& the NE Quarter of the SW quarter & the No West Quarter of the No East
quarter of Section 17 of Township No 45 of Range No 15, to have and hold the above
described tracts of land with all the appurtenances thereunto belonging to the
said C. P. Williams his heirs & assigns forever and of Thomas L. Williams
and my wife Frankey do hereby for ourselves and heirs Covenant with the said
Commodore P. Williams his heirs & assigns that we will forever renounce [?] P.V.
before the title of the law so far as our interest in said tracts of land so
far as our interest is considered against the claims of any other Persons as
being legal heirs & legatees of James Williams deceased the former owner of said
land in {two words unreadable] whereof we hereunto set our hands & affix our
seals this 15th day of January 1844."

The consecutive, identical deeds were signed by the following:

-- Charley Ross and Elizabeth (Williams) Ross signed 21 April 1843.

-- Samuel Bird and Nancy (Williams) Bird, signed 17 January 1843.  T

-- Joseph Henry and Mary (Williams) Henry, signed 17 January 1843.  T

-- John Williams and Betsy (maiden name??) Williams, signed 13th January
1843.

--  Thomas L. Williams and Franky (Murrell) Williams, signed 13
January 1844.

-- Ira Williams and Lydia (JOBE) Williams, signed January  17, 1843.

-- Susan Louisa Williams, signed with William MCKISSACK, 18 August 1846 [Wife;

-- James Williams (no wife at deed) signed 23 day February 1849,

-- William Williams and wife Winiford (maiden name unknown) signed 13
February 1843.

Statement of Heirs from Probate Documents in Moniteau Co. Mo:

State of Missouri, County of Cole
I John Williams do swear to the best of my knowledge and belief that Susanna
Williams, John Williams, Mary Henry, Wife of Joseph Henry, Nancy Bird wife of
Samuel Bird, Commodore P. Williams, Ira Williams, Susan Louisa Williams, James
Williams, William Williams, Tabith Williams All of whom reside in the County
of Cole in the State of Missouri, Elizabeth Ross wife of Charles Ross of
Cooper County Missouri, Thomas Williams of Cock County in the State of Tennessee,
are the sole heirs of James Williams deceased, that the said deceased died
intestate. That I will make a perfect inventory of and faithfully administer all
the debts as far as the [portion I can't read] and account for and pay all
assets which shall come to my possession of knowledge so help me God. John
Williams."
Sworn to and subscribed to before the {???] Clerk of the Cole County Court
this 9th day of November AD. 1842."