VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2010

From:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 23:33:48 -0700
Dear All,

I figure there are quite a few subscribers here who have struggled
with transcribing old handwritten letters.  I've just emerged from
doing transcriptions for more than 70 Civil War era letters.  A major
part of the correspondence occurred among three brothers, their
families and themselves.  All three followed what appears to be the
unusual convention of avoiding all punctuation and all inital
capitalization (they seemed to like some letters as capitals -- those
would be capitalized wherever they were found).   In addition to not
capitalizing letters at the beginning of sentences they would render
the personal pronoun "I" as a capital just once, at it's first use --
after that it was always written as "i."  I'm wondering if anyone
else has come across this pattern.

Jack Fallin
Walnut Creek, CA