VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:21:50 -0600
Hi, Pat.  I think it would be silly to suggest other than that any or all of your selections might be nicknames or synonyms for the forename Josiah.  It is my impression that there were even more nicknames found in the everyday language of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries than are found today.

I also believe that those names arose less by reason of the frequent need for phonetic spelling than from the simple urge to abbreviate or otherwise replace given names with "pet" or alternative sounds.  Paul