VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:13:45 -0500
Amen, Karen.  Many of my students later have given up the hobby because the
internet has failed to provide what they thought would be immediate answers.
So many "pay-for" websites have been revealed to provide so few "answers",
and those few only for ridiculously high prices, that folks who a) did not
learn how to do basic and thorough research and b) are very busy trying to
work and keep families going, simply give up the search, hoping for easier
and less time-consuming methods.

Considering that probably less than 5% of the research materials available
to us yet appear on the Internet, most folks who are newer to the hobby find
the censuses, give up those taken before 1850, look at some websites
postings and shotgun statements of where to look further, and put it aside.

I suppose the most fundamental rule that is NEVER learned by most genealogy
buffs is that the time-tested research methods have changed not atall!  The
Internet is but one more tool to accomplish what we have always done before
the "net".  I advise students and all of those to whom I speak that they
will be best served to procure any of the better "how-to-do" research guide
books, and as they read it search on the net for the materials there
recommended, making careful notes as to what they do NOT find there, leaving
those omissions for later.

The other most fundamental assumption we all need to remember (learn) is
that genealogy is about "where", since it is at the "wheres" - where they
lived - that ancestors left the vast majority of records of their lives.  If
we are not searching at the local level through societies, contacts, local
publications, in addition to our census and military records, there is NO
way we can even approach difficult "brick walls".  No small measures of the
available sources are available at the state's archives, especially at
Virginia.

In almost 60 years of research I have found that those who, for whatever
reasons, are not able to afford or otherwise find the time to search or make
contacts at those "wheres" quite usually find but a waning interest.  I
think there are as many "researchers" out there as always, however they (we)
find it most difficult to communicate with those who seem to have but little
interest in learning the fundamentals of genealogical research.  Some of
such basic rules are on the net now (and more will appear little by little),
but without following a research plan as set forth in the "how-to" books, it
will take years to ferret what has been made electronically available.

If you open the back door and shoot at the woods, it is not likely that you
will bag breakfast.  On the other hand, if you go into the woods and hunt,
the odds of gaining something to eat are greatly increased.

Paul
www.DrakesBooks.com